I had the honor and privilege of being the guest speaker at the Urban Chamber’s Women in Business & Politics luncheon on Friday, March 25th, 2016. African American owned and women owned businesses are making significant strides in terms of firm creation. Maintaining momentum through three key relationships is necessary to take minority owned businesses to the NEXT LEVEL.
The good news…
- There are over 2 million African American or Black owned businesses in the United States.
- Of all the businesses in the United States (not just African American), 30% are women owned businesses (that’s 9.4 million women owned businesses).
- Of that 9.4 million, 1.3 million or 14% are firms controlled by African American women.
- African American women are the fastest growing entrepreneurial group in the country reported by Forbes and Fortune magazines as of 2015. From 1997 – 2015 African American women businesses have grown 322%.
More to be done…
- 52% of all women lack financial security.
- 43% of all women expect to have to work until age 70.
- Only 55% of women are saving for retirement.
- Only 35% of women use a financial advisor and of those that do, they only do so for retirement purposes.
For those that read this blog post and are in the Las Vegas area, if you’re thinking about joining a cross cultural business organization that is truly supporting the business community in the Las Vegas area, this is the one to join. I was impressed with the infrastructure of the chamber, the support of the business owners and the event turnout. For more information, connect with chamber’s leadership – Shaundell Newsome here (https://www.facebook.com/shaundell.newsome) or Ken Evans here (https://www.facebook.com/ken.evans.9822).
HERE’S THE LINK TO MY TALK… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHcnf3nOYA
Meisa’s Media Kit is available online HERE.